Do you have passion and expertise in plastics, sustainability, innovation, energy, and stakeholder interaction to implement Plastics Europe’s strategy on climate and production of plastics?
Who we are looking for
Plastics Europe is looking for a highly experienced Director for its Strategic Council on Climate and Production. We are looking for a Director with passion for and expertise in plastics, sustainability, innovation, energy and stakeholder interaction to develop and implement Plastics Europe’s strategy on climate and production of plastics. The ideal candidate has strong strategic thinking skills and demonstrated capacity to project manage, facilitate, and build consensus.
Plastics Europe and its members support and are working towards the EU’s net zero ambition by 2050. The Director for Climate and Production is considered critical to help accelerate our industry’s ongoing transition towards net zero and circularity by helping to shape targets, milestones and create projects, positions, collaborations and activities to this end.
Who we are
Plastics Europe is the pan-European association of plastics manufacturers with offices across Europe. For over 100 years, science and innovation has been the DNA that cuts across our industry. With close to 100 members producing over 90% of all polymers across Europe, we are the catalyst for the industry with a responsibility to openly engage with stakeholders and deliver solutions which are safe, circular and sustainable. We are committed to implementing long-lasting positive change.
We seek to bring to life the responsible actions, partnerships, and innovations the European plastics industry is making to produce plastic materials in a climate neutral circular economy by
- Acknowledging and addressing the plastics waste issue and accelerating the sustainable use of plastics.
- Enhancing confidence in the material’s ability to contribute positively to society.
The mission of the Association regarding Climate and Production Strategy is to:
- drive the industry to demonstrate commitment to improving the sustainability of plastics production, the reduction of GHG emissions, EU border adjustment mechanism for carbon emissions and the prevention of plastic pellet loss.
- engage with internal and external stakeholders to position the industry as a solution provider for a sustainable and climate friendly environment.
- ensure key stakeholders appreciate industry’s efforts towards net zero ambitions, understand the challenge of the transition, and support by creating the right enabling (policy) environment.
- foster strategic direction and management of industry Climate and Production projects and initiatives.
About the Position
Mission of the Strategic Council Director – Climate and Production is as follows:
- Propose, agree on, and implement a Plastics Industry Strategy for plastics materials in a low-carbon circular economy.
- Develop, steer, and implement strategies agreed by the Strategic Council – Climate and Production members, and integrate them into the European Plastics Industry strategy by working closely together with the Strategy Councils End-of-Life and Circularity, and Sustainable use of Plastics.
- Translate the approved strategies into objectives, plans, and budgets.
- Propose, agree, and implement a technical stakeholder engagement process strongly supported by advocacy, required to meet the objectives. Integrate technical work in stakeholder engagement and strategies by the advocacy and communications committees.
- Put in place and use all necessary processes to manage the expectations of and build consensus with members around key issues to meet the Council’s strategic goals.
- Initiate and lead Task Forces in shaping technical positions in strong collaboration and co-decision of final public documents with the Advocacy and Communications Committees
- Represent Plastics Europe as a technical and strategic spokesperson, advocate and represent Plastics Europe in official and professional bodies in order to communicate and safeguard the interest of the Strategic Council positions and in line with the overall reputational objective of Plastics Europe.
- As a member of Plastics Europe’s Leadership Team, take co-accountability for the overall management of Plastics Europe in order to ensure achievement of objectives, budget control, member, and team satisfaction.
A highly experienced professional who has:
- University degree (master/MBA)
- Business management experience (minimum 15 years) with decision-making responsibilities at a senior level
- Working experience within climate and industrial policy within international chemical/plastics/energy or other related industries and preferably working experience with associations
- Passion in sustainability and/or climate/net zero objectives.
- Excellent people management skills and capacity to lead with impact and reach goals.
- Excellent networker with well-developed social and cross-cultural skills
- Strategic, flexible, diplomatic mind-set with strong ability to lead with influence.
- Outstanding interpersonal, strong verbal and written communication and negotiation skills
- Self-confidence, balanced and constructively critical with a positive attitude.
- Fluent in English and preferably in at least one other European language
Please send your application with compelling cover letter (2 pages max) and CV to our recruitment partner: email@example.com and Cc. firstname.lastname@example.org (SUBJECT line: Strategic Council Director – Climate and Production) by 30 June 2023.
PlasticsEurope is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. For this purpose, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics.
Plastics Europe cares about your privacy.
Before submitting your application please take a look at our job applicants privacy notice.