Plastics Europe is the pan-European association of plastics manufacturers with offices across Europe. For over 100 years, science and innovation has been the DNA that cuts across our industry. With close to 100 members producing over 90% of all polymers across Europe, we are the catalyst for the industry with a responsibility to openly engage with stakeholders and deliver solutions which are safe, circular, and sustainable. We are committed to implementing long-lasting positive change.
Plastics Europe is looking for a (Senior) Public Affairs and Communications Manager Netherlands
The employee is based at PlasticsEurope’s office in The Hague (part of the work can potentially be done from the home office) and will report directly to the Director PlasticsEurope Netherlands).
The role requires the ability to understand and anticipate the economic, political, media and public landscape in the country and across Europe.
Considering the national specificities, (s)he works with the Director PlasticsEurope Netherlands in implementing in the Netherlands the pan-European strategy of the Association defined by the PlasticsEurope Advocacy & Communication Directors.
- Internal communications to member companies, and externally to major stakeholders.
- Liaison towards Dutch authorities (Government, Administration and Dutch Parliament) for existing and future regulations regarding plastics in The Netherlands.
- Cooperation with national upstream and downstream associations to optimize the value chain.
- Gathering intelligence on emerging issues and prioritizes them based on importance and urgency.
- Developing and leading the implementation of Dutch engagement strategies. This includes developing and implementing an integrated and measurable communications strategy for PlasticsEurope Netherlands to support policy goals, organizational transformation/change and to protect the reputation of the sector.
- Issues management
- Own the issue management policy and advise the Leadership on actions and mitigation strategies. Lead the execution of the latter as appropriate
- Provide strategic direction on existing or anticipated issues to members
- Develop rebuttals and clear processes for damaging and non-fact-based measures
- Developing a very strong relationship with the Director PlasticsEurope Netherlands, Dutch National Advisory Board and national company executives, PlasticsEurope Managing Director, External Affairs Director, senior members, and PlasticsEurope colleagues.
- Fostering strong relationships with the most senior stakeholders across key external audiences in The Netherlands (to include value-chain, media, political, etc).
- Driving the improvement and use of digital capabilities within PlasticsEurope Netherlands.
- Representing the industry in The Netherlands through participation at events, conferences, and meetings as appropriate.
- Contributing to the development of pan-European campaigns and translating these at national level. Ensuring these demonstrate the value of the plastics industry, their contribution to the circular economy and role in responding and solving future sustainability challenges.
The candidate would also become a member of pan-European PlasticsEurope External Affairs and Communications teams, and would have the possibility to further grow within the PlasticsEurope organisation
To meet these expectations, candidates must have the following key competencies: Core competencies, knowledge and experience required:
- An experienced public or corporate affairs professional in the field of public/corporate affairs or communications, with a proven track record of working in complex or diverse organisations, and preferably experienced in working with trade associations
- Strong networking skills with the ability to develop and maintain relationships at senior level within the political landscape in The Netherlands as well as within ministries & institutions.
- Good understanding and experience of the political & decision-making process in The Netherlands and at the European Union level.
- Good knowledge and understanding of:
- The internal and external environment of the plastics industry and its critical high value stakeholders (governmental, regulatory, NGOs, political, value chain, consumer and media)
- the high value reputational drivers for the industry and how business decisions impact on reputation
- communications and campaigning strategies (including digital) that engage diverse audiences, foster debate, and address misperceptions.
- Good communication skills (preferably experienced in this field)
- Strategic thinker and leader with a strong ability to interpret internal and external trends and changes and contribute to key strategic policy positions and communications activities
- Native Dutch speaking and writing and excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
Please send your application with full curriculum vitae before 20 October 2021, with the subject “NL Public Affairs and Communications Manager” to: email@example.com