We are looking for an experienced Public Affairs Senior Manager to promote ECVM/VinylPlus® views
Who we are
Plastics Europe is the pan-European association of plastics manufacturers with offices in every major capital of Europe. For over 100 years, science and innovation has been the DNA that cuts across our industry. With close to 100 members producing over 90% of all polymers across Europe, we are the catalyst for the industry with a responsibility to openly engage with stakeholders and deliver solutions which are safe, circular and sustainable. We are committed to implementing long-lasting positive change.
PlasticsEurope has under its umbrella dedicated plastic product groups one of them being the European Council of Vinyl Manufacturers (ECVM).
ECVM represents six leading European producers of PVC. These businesses operate around 40 different plants spread over 23 sites and employ approximately 7,000 people (www.pvc.org). PVC is mostly used in building and construction products, in sport equipment and medical material.
ECVM is also the founding member of VinylPlus®, the voluntary commitment to sustainable development by the European PVC industry (www.vinylplus.eu). Founded in 2000, the commitment has been recently updated with a programme of goals and targets to be achieved by 2030. The commitment aims at strengthening the sustainability of PVC products and of the entire industry through a holistic approach including the sustainable use of chemical substances, minimisation of the value chain environmental footprint, safe and quality PVC recycling, building global coalitions and partnering for the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
PlasticsEurope is looking for an experienced Public Affairs Senior Manager to promote ECVM/VinylPlus® views to EU decision-makers and other stakeholders and ensure the development of a policy framework which supports the PVC industry’s transition to a circular economy and contributes to delivering on the European Green Deal.
It includes proactive advocacy work and regular interactions with external stakeholders. The successful candidate will be hired as a PlasticsEurope employee working 100% for ECVM.
The Public Affairs Senior Manager will be based at ECVM’s office in Brussels (with a requirement for travel) and will report directly to the Managing Director of ECVM/VinylPlus®.
The position is based in Brussels, Belgium.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The candidate will develop advocacy strategies, monitor policy developments at EU level, help define policy positions and undertake advocacy activities in line with agreed strategy. He/she will have a strong focus on building relationships with decision-makers. He/she will interact with European upstream and downstream associations and identify areas of possible joint collaboration.
- He/she will plan and oversee the implementation of advocacy actions to support the strategy priorities.
- He/she will strongly be involved and provide support to the VinylPlus® organization of events and the development of communication strategies and action plans.
- This is a highly visible position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the candidate should be adaptable, comfortable in a high-pressure environment, and be politically diplomatic, responsive, and mature. The candidate should be capable to take initiative, be self-motivated, be able to convince stakeholders to work together on a set goal
Skills & competencies
- Degree in management, business, law, communication or related areas, preferably combined with a high-level science qualification in the area of chemistry, polymer science, materials science or environmental/sustainability science
- 10 to 15 years of experience in planning, managing and implementing advocacy projects
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills knowledge of other additional EU languages (e.g. French, German) is an advantage
- Relevant and broad experience of regulatory policy developments and advocacy with strong knowledge of the European chemicals, sustainability, trade and energy frameworks
- Demonstrated track record of working with high level government, industry, NGO’s and other policy stakeholders
- Understanding of the social, economic and environmental dimensions of sustainability and elements related to the development of sustainability strategies
- An accomplished and confident public speaker capable of holding the attention of a large audience
If you wish to apply please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com (SUBJECT: ECVM Public Affairs Senior Manager) by 31 May 2022 at the latest. Please mention in your cover letter when you would be available to start.
Due to the high number of expected responses, we will only contact those who are invited for an interview.
Remuneration according to level of experience and diploma
Starting date: As soon as possible
Plastics Europe cares about your privacy.
Before submitting your application please take a look at our job applicants privacy notice.