What we are looking for
We are looking for a dynamic Policy Officer with a proactive mindset and firsthand experience in Public Affairs at the European level. Specifically, we are looking for a candidate with experience in supporting policy monitoring, analysis and positioning related to the environment, circular economy, climate, sustainability, and other topics relevant to the European Plastics Industry.
We offer a challenging and rewarding work environment, and opportunities for professional growth and development. If you are motivated to contribute to shaping the future of the plastics industry towards a more sustainable and circular economy, we want to hear from you! Your expertise and skills will help us further strengthen the leading policy role of Plastics Europe for our members and the plastics industry.
Who we are
Plastics Europe is the pan-European association of plastics manufacturers with offices across Europe. For over 100 years, science and innovation has been the DNA that cuts across our industry. With close to 100 members producing over 90% of all polymers across Europe, we are the catalyst for the industry with a responsibility to openly engage with stakeholders and deliver solutions which are safe, circular, and sustainable. We are committed to implementing long-lasting positive change.
About the position
As a Policy Officer, you will be a key member of the External Affairs Team responsible for the Association’s advocacy and policy affairs work. This work supports and promotes the strategic direction of our organisation and the interests of our Members. Your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and analysing the policy, social, and regulatory landscape impacting our industry.
- Contributing to developing advocacy strategies on key issues affecting the industry.
- Contributing to establishing engagement strategies towards internal and external stakeholders, including our pan-European network, European institutions, and industry-specific associations.
- Supporting with briefing and advising Plastics Europe members and Strategic Councils on policy developments and the direction and decisions to adopt.
The primary objective of this role and overall work of the External Affairs Team is to contribute to the development of a policy framework that supports the industry’s transition to a climate-neutral and circular economy, contributing to European Green Deal objectives.
You will be based at our Brussels office and report directly to the External Affairs Director. Some travel within Europe or at global level may be required.
To succeed in this role, we are seeking a candidate with the following key competencies:
- You have a demonstrated ability to contribute to developing advocacy and engagement strategies, work with internal and external stakeholders, and broker common positions.
- You have a good understanding of the political and social environment impacting our Members and industry. Coupled to this, you have strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret and convey complex information to various audiences.
- You take initiative and full ownership of the advocacy work for the areas you cover.
- You have strong networking, negotiation and persuasion skills.
- You are a pro at managing time, working to deadline and balancing priorities.
- You have a pro-active, flexible and ‘hands on’ approach to work.
- You have excellent communications and writing skills in English, including drafting policy positions, messaging and consultation responses. Knowledge of additional European languages is an asset.
- The ability to learn fast, bring relevant and high value experience to debate and support decision-making.
- Strong Academic Background; i.e. a master’s degree in political science, economics, law, or a related discipline. Or equivalent experience
- At least 2 years of relevant policy and public affairs experience in the public sector, industry, a trade association, consultancy, or NGO.
- A strong understanding of the industry’s external context, stakeholders, ecosystem and the EU decision-making process.
- Knowledge of the plastics industry and its operating model
Apply today by sending us a cover letter (2 pages max) and CV to: email@example.com (SUBJECT line: Policy Officer) by 15 November 2023.
Please mention when you would be available to start.
Due to the high number of expected responses, we will only contact those who are invited for an interview.
Plastics Europe is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. For this purpose, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics.
Plastics Europe cares about your privacy.
Before submitting your application please take a look at our job applicants privacy notice.