UK Country Manager ensures the professional management of the Association’s activities.
Who we are
Plastics Europe is the pan-European association of plastics manufacturers with offices across Europe. For over 100 years, science and innovation has been the DNA that cuts across our industry. With close to 100 members producing over 90% of all polymers across Europe, we are the catalyst for the industry with a responsibility to openly engage with stakeholders and deliver solutions which are safe, circular and sustainable. We are committed to implementing long-lasting positive change.
About the position
The Plastics Europe UK Country Manager reports to the External Affairs Director of Plastics Europe. The UK Country Manager ensures the professional management of the Association’s activities. This includes implementation of the Plastics Europe strategy in the UK and capacity to guide and advise on strategic direction. This requires the ability to understand and anticipate the economic, political, and public landscape in the country and align with how these fit with wider European policy developments.
- Developing and leading the implementation of UK engagement strategies. This includes:
- Implementing in the country the pan-European strategy of the Association defined by the Plastics Europe External Affairs & Communication Directors.
- Establishing an integrated and measurable communications strategy for Plastics Europe UK to support policy goals and transformation and to protect the reputation of the sector.
- Contributing to the development and execution of pan-European campaigns and translating these at national level. Ensuring these demonstrate the value of the plastics industry, their contribution to the circular economy and role in responding and solving future sustainability challenges.
- Actively contributing to the development and execution of national multi-stakeholder plans and initiatives aiming to leverage the sustainability of plastics
- Gathering emerging issues, to prioritize the importance and urgency and makes relevant proposals at Plastics Europe External Affairs Director & Managing Director and Steering Board Members if required.
- Acting as the primary contact of the association towards the UK Government and Houses of Parliament for the implementation of existing and future regulation regarding plastics in the UK.
- Managing risks (including reputational ones):
- Own the issues management policy and advise the Leadership on actions and mitigation strategies. Lead the execution of the latter as appropriate
- Provide strategic direction on existing or anticipated issues to the Steering Board
- Develop rebuttals and clear processes for damaging and non-fact-based measures
- Developing and fostering a very strong relationship & collaborations with:
- the Plastics Europe Managing Director, External Affairs Director and wider team members
- the British Plastics Federation
- the UK Regional Advisory Board and national company executives, Plastics Europe Managing Director, External Affairs Director, senior members, and Plastics Europe colleagues.
- member companies in the country
- the most senior stakeholders across key external audiences in the UK (to include value-chain, media, political, NGO’s, etc).
- Plastics industry partners across the wider Northern European and Nordics region
- Representing the industry in the UK through participation at events, conferences, Parliamentary hearings and other policymaker and stakeholder meetings as appropriate.
What does it take to succeed in this role?
- Strong capacity to federate, influence and build consensus amongst internal and external stakeholders
- Strong networking skills with the ability to develop and maintain relationships at senior level within the political & institutional landscape in the UK.
- The ability to build, lead, motivate high performing teams
- Strategic thinker and leader
- Game changer ability: capacity to bring and implement new ideas to support with the challenges faced by the UK plastics industry.
- Strong analytical thinking skills
- at least five years of relevant policy and public affairs experience in the public sector, industry, a trade association or consultancy.
- a proven track record of working in a complex organization and networks.
- Expertise in communications
- Good understanding and experience of the political & decision-making process in the UK
- Good knowledge and understanding of:
- the external environment of the plastics industry and its critical high value stakeholders (governmental, regulatory, NGOs, political, value chain, consumer and media)
- the plastics industry and its operating model
- the high value reputational drivers for the industry and how business decisions impact on reputation
- communications and campaigning strategies (including digital) that engage diverse audiences, foster debate, and address misperceptions.
- Native level verbal and written communications skills in English
Location: London (with a possibility of part-time home working & need for regular travel within the UK and occasional travel within Europe)
Please send your application with a compelling cover letter (2 pages max) and CV by 31 August 2022 with the subject UK Country Manager to: Plastics Europe at to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plastics Europe cares about your privacy.
Before submitting your application please take a look at our job applicants privacy notice.